Before entering the dojo everyone must remove their shoes and arrange them neatly outside of the dojo’s entrance. Next, students must place anything they are carrying in their hands on the floor and bow whilst saying ‘Osu!’ two times. To bow correctly from a standing position:
- Stand in shizentai (standing position).
- Bring the fists to the opposite ears.
- Drop the fists downwards across the body until the fists are parallel to the floor.
- Extend the spine and bow the head 30 to 40 degrees.
- Do not bow so deeply that you cannot see your opponent.
- Return to the original position.
Kyokushin Karate training begins the moment a student enters the dojo. Once inside the dojo students must approach all senior grades in belt order and say Osu!
Students must always focus on keeping their backs straight, fists above belt height and must always answer the sensei or senpai with Osu!
When training with a partner, students must say Osu! Onegaishimasu before beginning their practice and then Osu! Arigato Gozaimashita after finishing.
When the class begins the command seiretsu (line up) will be given. On hearing this students must line up as quickly as possible with the highest grades at the right hand side of the front row and students arranging themselves in order of belt rank. Walking is not allowed in the dojo. Students should always run. When given the command seiza, eveyone must sit in seiza and wait for the command to bow. To bow correctly from seiza (sitting position):
- From shezentai withdraw the left leg and kneel.
- Bring the right leg back and drop the hips placing the fist at the top of the thighs. The knees should be two to three widths of the fists apart.
- Extend the spine forward, relax the shoulders and place the fists one fist’s distance infront of the knees. Do not drop the head too low.
- Return to seiza.
- When standing from seiza begin with the right leg.
|Osu||Sir, yes, sir.（and possibly Salute Reply or Greetings)|
|Syoumen ni rei||bow to the front|
|Mokuso yame||end meditation|
|Otagai ni rei||to bow to each other|
|Arigatou gozaimasita||thank you very much|
During the closing ceremony, you may be asked to sit crossed legged. When this is the case keep your back straight and place your fists at the top of your thighs while listening to your sensei or senpai.
At the end of the training session students move to the front of the dojo in rank order. Standing in front of the sensei everyone must bow whilst saying ‘ Osu! arigatou gozaimashita’ and then stand next to their predecesor to form a line. By doing this everyone has the opportunity to show their respect to their fellow students and have the opportunity to say thank you for being able to train with them.